English Language Proficiency
Texas A&M University requires students from non-English-speaking countries to demonstrate the ability to speak, write, and understand the English language. English language proficiency requirements for enrollment may be greater than those required for admission. After admission, you must meet the following criteria before you will be able to register for academic coursework.
Undergraduate International Students
To demonstrate your ability, you must fulfill one of the following:
- TOEFL score of at least 100 iBT or 600 pBT,
- Test date prior to March 2016-Critical Reading (Verbal)score of at least 500
- Test date after March 2016-Evidence Based Reading and Writing (EBRW) score of 560
- PTE Academic score of 68,
- ACT English score of at least 21,
- IELTS score of at least 7.0 overall band
- Transfer from an accredited U.S. institution of higher education with at least 30 semester credit hours including the equivalent to Texas A&M’s English 103 or 104 with a grade of “C” or better.
If you do not meet one of the above conditions, you must take the English Language Proficiency Examination (ELPE). The ELPE evaluates English grammar, writing, vocabulary, reading, listening and speaking skills. A score of at least 70 is required on each ELPE test area to meet English Proficiency Requirements. For testing schedules, please visit the Data and Research Services (DARS) website at dars.tamu.edu.
Following the ELPE, student placement in Texas A&M and/or English Language Institute (ELI) courses is made by the International Student Placement Committee (ISPC). You will be required to enroll in ELI courses in each skill area for which you score below 70. To appeal an ISPC decision regarding Texas A&M and/or ELI placements, you may contact the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs for your college.
The English Language Institute offers language skills development for any international student at Texas A&M working toward their undergraduate, graduate, or doctoral degree. ELI additionally offers a non-degree program in which international students can enroll full-time in six or seven ELI courses to meet Texas A&M English Language Proficiency Requirements or simply to improve their English language skills.
Graduate International Students
English Language Proficiency Requirements